Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Prophet


About 12 years ago I sat in the choir seats in the Tabernacle surrounded by 180 or so sister missionaries. The hour was early but we were all filled with excitement as a whisper filled the room...He is coming. We rose from our seats and tears filled my eyes. Here I was about to hear the Prophet speak. He rounded the corner and stood before a choir of Missionaries singing "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet". As he stood before me commenting on the hour and who's idea was it to get him out of bed for a 6am meeting, we all laughed as his humor. I don't remember much of what he told us that day but when he bore his testimony it burned a place in my heart. He said, as he looked, each one of us in the eye. "I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God, just like you do. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, just like you do. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, just like you do. I know I am a Son of our Father in Heaven, just like you know you are a Daughter of our Father in Heaven." Tears poured down my cheeks as I listened to the Prophet and his testimony. At that moment I knew that this Man was not just a Man, He was the mouth peace for the Lord. He was my Prophet.
Tonight as I learned of his passing, I was reminded of this moment in time I shared with him. I wept. Then peace filled my heart as I imagined the embrace of his sweet wife who has been waiting for him. I am sure many were there to welcome him Home. He was a great Man, a remarkable Prophet and he will be missed by me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0W0ZVI9ak
I found this great link too- Glen Beck from CNN

3 comments:

Afton said...

I was surprised, but not surprised to hear this news today. He was such an amazing man. I'm sure he's getting a big "Well done" about now.

Dustin and Camila said...

Corrin! Such a great thing to see you still exist. Thanks for dropping in to my blog, and for leaving a comment. I wanted to tell you that I LOVED what you said about President Hinkley. Thanks for sharing that very awesome personal experience. I wish I had met him in person. But he was great that way, he made me feel like I had met him in person. Your entry inspired me to write about him on my blog too.

Let's chat soon!
Dustin-

Molly said...

You said it well.



Ryan - Corrin
Carter (7) - Hailey (5)
Charles (2)