Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas is coming way to fast....


Can you believe it is the 13th already? Our tree went up the day after Thanksgiving. Decorations are slowing being ripped of the walls or the tree by our little crawler. Baby Charles grabs and pulls himself up on everything. Our tree decor is getting higher and higher everyday. The last few weeks I have been crazy. I told my mother-in-law today I can't wait for Christmas....not because I want the presents or all the party's. I want a day off. No running from here to there, no appointments, just a day of family and fun! It seems like every year life gets crazy right about now!
My parents had us over for Thanksgiving this year and I asked my mom if I could give a short presentation. I thought it might bring a little joy to you too......
JOY
Jesus Others You

Have you ever heard that joy stands for “Jesus, Others, Yourself”? According to this formula, by putting Jesus first, others second, and yourself last, you will find joy. Christmas is an especially good time to put this formula into practice. But how can you in the midst of all the running and doing that Christmas brings about? Let’s break it down into each category:

Jesus: In the Bible we read that “The joy of the Lord is your strength.” Simply put, you can’t find joy without the Savior. If you are seeking joy this Christmas, then a relationship with Jesus is the place to start. In Jeremiah we read, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Your first priority this Christmas should not be to get the perfect Christmas card photo or bake a record amount of cookies. Your first priority should be drawing close to the One whose birth we celebrate. Don’t miss Jesus this year as the residents of Bethlehem did all those years ago. There wasn’t room in the inn. Is there room in your heart?

Others: How can you put other people ahead of yourself? I know for me, it’s more like, when am I not putting others ahead of myself? I have 3 small children, two jobs, and a Husband who need me first. But I am talking about looking outside your immediate family and friends. Reach out to the retail clerks that wait on you. Smile at the grumpy people in your path. Extend a smile, not because they deserve it, but because it is what Christ would want you to do. I am inspired by the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith: “A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world anxious to bless the whole human race”

You: Putting yourself last means having a place for yourself at all. I think that especially difficult for me. We get so used to serving others; we forget that we have needs. Christ offers love, acceptance and peace. He simply says, “Come.” One of my favorite passages in scripture is found in Matthew 11:28-30 when Jesus offers us rest and a lighter burden. This passage speaks volumes to me in the midst of stress and busyness. I know that the only way I can make it is by drawing close to my Savior and allowing the Holy Ghost to speak to me. Don’t forget that you have a place in the JOY formula!
This Holiday season I hope that you too will find the JOY in Christmas! I gave them all a little star with the word "JOY" on the front.
*this idea was from my friend Lisa Sharp

1 comment:

Afton said...

Whoa! Every day, nothing, then all of a sudden, super cute pictures and great posts. Can you come teach our Relief Society? I love that JOY thing. I might just have to cut and paste it and make a cute hand out for RS. I LOVE, Love, love the ode to your tree. Yes, the tree is gorgeous when it's first up, then one day, there are more ornaments on the floor than on the tree. I don't even have the desire to hang them back up. I just set them on the branch where they are sure to fall off as soon as the kids go back to harassing the tree. Mine like to hit the tree with frisbees and throw paper airplanes into it to see how high they can get them to stick.

Finally, how about Chuck?



Ryan - Corrin
Carter (7) - Hailey (5)
Charles (2)